Thursday 12 July 2007

Invasions on Inter-Neighbor Zones

So once again I have found a way to revert back to my childhood after long lulls from certain actions. Today I took some time to mow Dad’s lawn. Now this task, be it a pain in the ass, a work out, another simple chore, or any other notion you may have of it, is something I volunteered to do today after work. What is seemingly different, or the forgotten same, is the non-stop new trains of thought that came to mind during my trek.

The first of these was thoughts was the excitement I had for it. When I was first allowed to mow the lawn as a chore, the event was adventuresome. I wanted to mow the lawn, and at the time, I assumed that pleased Dad, as he no longer had to make the zig-zags around the house. Today though, as I made my own marks in the green (and brown) earth, I began to think that maybe it was not a blessing, or a sense of relief to my pops when I cut the lawn in the past. It was sort of me signing my name on his domain. He does much work on that lawn (don’t mention the brown spots, they are new and seemingly incurable this summer), and I imagine he takes some pride in his work. He may also enjoy the time he can cut the lawn with an unintruded train of thoughts (for the same reason I love my jogs).

While I considered my actions of the past and present as being an invasion on my father’s work, I watched the lines I was drawing creep into the neighbors landscapes and realized it was not my father alone of who I was invading upon, but my neighbors and possible allies. I cannot be fully to blame, there has never been a line drawn on the soil to my knowledge declaring whose bit of land belonged to who, but I am pretty sure that I crossed such a line. I am now considering that there be a possible foot each direction that could be declared as inter-neighbor lands. With this possible ruling in action, I am fine for my ventures into unowned lands.

The last of my lawn mowing thoughts that I will confess to this evening are the changes in the lines of the land. I aimed at mowing in a different patter that father dearest, and I think I may have. Of course, he has been doing this for a long time, so my current creativity may just be a copy of what was done further back in the past. Oh well, it was nice to mow the lawn again.

Oh yeah, I would like to have one of those gas-free lawn mowers...with an odometer.

No comments: