Wednesday 11 July 2007

Enough With the All-Star Break

Of my travels last night, none of them went to the MLB All-Star Game. I can no longer bring myself to watch that game, and no, it has nothing to do with Barry Bonds. My problem lies with two aspects of the game: 1. Every team has a representative; 2. The winning league takes home-field advantage of the World Series.

I am a Royals fan, I grew up in the KC area, and I love watching my brothers in blue being regarded as all-stars, but this year was not a year we deserved representation (along with a few of the recent past years). I do feel Gil Meche is a great pitcher, and well worth the money that is being spent on him, but he does not necessarily sit on the board of all-stars. I understand that each team having a designated player would give each team a player to root for and therefore watch, but I feel that All-Star games should be played by all-stars.

I feel that the new rule (2003) declaring that the winning league of the all-star game receives the benefit of home-field advantage may have changed the mindset of the players and coaches. A game that was before a simple game of fun, there now stands much more importance in winning. This may alter who plays and for how long. Lets loose the seriousness for a little while.

I am ready for the break to end. It is a tough schedule for the Royals following the break, but I am hoping for a single ticket to one of Kansas City’s games when I am in Beantown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.